I'm just in the middle of packing for my trip home tomorrow. So while I am not really in the head space to write much today, I wanted to share this simple and fresh breakfast recipe with you before I take off. My heart is feeling pretty overwhelmed at the moment, there are so many people I can't wait to wrap my arms around, but I know that I will miss the comfort of Math's arms over the next month too. Can't a girl just get all the ones she loves in the same room together? I guess that is the dream. So for now it's just me, my buddy Ben and an empty suitcase. here we go.
See you on the other side, Canada!
Raw Nut + Seed Porridge with Fresh Figs
A raw summer porridge made from soaked nuts and buckwheat groats. Fresh figs are the season's ultimate finale, so go get your hands on some while they are at their best! That being said, any fresh, seasonal fruit will do. The first time I tried raw buckwheat porridge, I really wasn't sold, but the added creaminess of cashews and walnuts make this a pretty damn delicious end of summer treat! Enjoy, guys! x
Vegan, Gluten Free + Raw. Serves 2-4.
- 1/2 cup raw buckwheat groats
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 1 + 1/2 tablespooon apple cider vinegar
- 6 fresh figs
- 1-2 cup raw nut milk (unsweetened, homemade is best!)
- Zest of one orange
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon hemp seed hearts
- A few drops pure maple syrup, optional
What to do
- The night before, take out 3 small bowls and place buckwheat groats, cashews and walnuts in separate bowls. Cover the nuts and seeds with water and add 1/2 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to each bowl. Let soak overnight at room temperature.
- In the morning, drain the nuts and seeds in a sieve and rinse really well. Fortunately for you, buckwheat has this awesome property of making a lush goo, so don't be alarmed if you have little in the bowl, it will get rinsed off and it is totally normal.
- Place the rinsed nuts and seeds in a small blender with 2 or the fresh figs, orange zest, cinnamon, and nut milk. Blend until smooth and thick, adding a little extra nut milk if needed, but so much that you make a smoothie.
- Separate the porridge between 2-4 bowls, then top with remaining figs, sliced, hemp hearts, a little extra orange zest and a few raw walnuts. Drizzle with a little maple syrup is desired!